University of East London

OVERVIEW

Founded in 1898, the University of East London runs seven schools including Architecture, Computing and Engineering, Arts and Digital Industries, Cass School of Education and Communities, Health, Sport and Bioscience, Psychology, Social Sciences, Royal Docks School of Business and Law and a Graduate School. The university prides its Psychology, Education and Communities, and Business and Law schools.

UEL is located in the East London boroughs of Stratford and Docklands. The largest campus is in Docklands. The Stratford Campus hosting Cass School of Education and Communities, the School of Health Sport and Bioscience and the School of Psychology, is centred around a 19th century listed building. The University Square Stratford campus is jointly owned with Birkbeck, and is dedicated to adult students. The institution offers a number of different clubs and societies run by students, their focus ranging from arts to biking, and from causes such as International Development and LGBT rights to identity – whether national, cultural, political or religious. Clubs and societies are one of the best ways to get to know people with similar interests and make friends.

The University of East London is one of the few universities in London offering on-campus accommodation. But you can also live off campus, especially if you already have a family or want to share a flat with your partner.

Its famous alumni include British Labour politicians Hilary Armstrong and Rupa Huq, Al Jazeera English news presenter Daljit Dhaliwal, the artists Jake and Dinos Chapman, former CEO of Ford Motor Company Alexander Trotman, former Prime Minister of Dominica Edison James, Judo Olympian Gemma Gibbons, and Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor.

No. of students per staff

Percentage of International Students

16.9%
32%

Student Ratio of Females to Males

63%
37%

History

UEL can trace its roots back to 1892 when the newly formed County Borough of West Ham decided to establish a West Ham Technical Institute to serve the local community. The Institute was to be a “people’s university” in the words of John Passmore Edwards, speaking at the building’s opening ceremony. The college provided courses in science, engineering and art, and also established its own internal degree courses in science and engineering, which were ratified by the University of London. In addition, it had a Women’s Department.

As demand for technical education grew throughout the 1930s and 1940s, Essex County Council created two further colleges at Walthamstow and Dagenham. In 1970 these three colleges (West Ham, Walthamstow, Dagenham) were combined as a merger of higher education colleges, to create the North East London Polytechnic. Campuses were modernised and revitalised by buildings such as the Arthur Edwards building on the Stratford campus, completed in 1982.

In 1988 the North East London Polytechnic became a higher education institution, renamed the Polytechnic of East London in 1989.

In 1992 the Polytechnic of East London became the University of East London, one of a number of “new universities“. The UEL’s succession of founding institutions exemplify the developments that took place in British further and higher education policy throughout the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The University of East London consisted of the Barking Campus (closed 2006) and the Stratford Campus. In 1999 the Docklands Campus was opened, the first new university campus built in London for over 50 years.

In 2012, following previous opposition, UEL adopted the full increased tuition rates of £9,000 permitted by legislation enacted in 2010, an increase from the previous rate of £3,290. The university is a lead academic sponsor of Hackney University Technical College which opened in 2012, one of the first university technical colleges in England.

In April 2013 the university was granted armorial bearings by the College of Arms.