Fuzhou University

OVERVIEW

Fuzhou University (FZU) in Fuzhou, Fujian Province, China, is a comprehensive university that was founded in 1958. It is most well known in the fields of science and engineering, but also has well-renowned programmes in economics, management, arts, and law.

Spread over 333 hectares, the university is split by the Min River into two main campuses: the Old Campus on the north bank in the west of Fuzhou City; and New Campus on the south bank, on the edge of the city, in the shadow of Qi Mountain. There are also several other campuses, including Yishan, Qishan, Tongpan and the Academy of Arts and Design in Xiamen.

As part of China’s Project 211, which aims to improve the standards of the top 100 Chinese universities, FZU has a national centre for theoretical research in science and personnel training, a national integrated circuit personnel training centre, two national demonstration centres for experimental teaching, four national supporting sites for superior subjects, two national outstanding courses and over 30 provincial key courses.

FZU has academic exchanges on science, teaching, and culture with Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macao, and the Ministry of Education has approved the university as able confer undergraduate and postgraduate degrees on foreign students from various countries, including Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan.

The Library of the Western Belvedere and the Institute of International Sinology are examples of FZU’s efforts to promote exchange between Chinese and Western civilisation.

FZU has provided four candidates for the national “Hundred, Thousand, Ten Thousand Talent Project” and 64 candidates for the provincial “Hundred, Thousand, Ten Thousand Talent Project”, a government scheme to find talents for scientific and technological development.

No. of students per staff

Percentage of International Students

16.6%
1%

Student Ratio of Females to Males

42%
58%

History

The first ever lecture was delivered on September 26, 1906). The course was at that time called HMCW (Higher Medical Course for Women). The course listeners were called “medichki”. The first “medichki” graduation was in spring 1912.

Due to the popularity of the course, the entrance competition was very high. In 1906, the medical faculty students numbered 206 and in 1907-1908 there were 285. Therewith, 2128 applicants for study were rejected. So, the entrance competition equaled almost 9 people for one position.

Since the establishment of the HMCW medical department up to the February Revolution of 1917, a total of 1060 students were trained there.